2009年9月3日星期四

J@tch Chef’s life (Rewind~~~2007)

After one year of getting my Menu, I’m not making my chef’s (or wat I meant, cook) life according to the Menu. During this year, I have try my effort to cooks the foods on wat I get from the Menu, following the same recipes stated, same indigents should be added and the steps to cooks on it, but it doesn’t seems like the taste I demanding for my cooking life, neither western of eastern favors. So, after one year of floating life on chasing my dreamz, finally I have made my choices focus, appreciate on wat dishes am I cook right now, that’s DIY, or wat we call Do It Yourself.

1st dishes:-Freelance chef (freelance tour guide)-homemade nasi lemak with salsa sauce.













Indigrents: 1 chicken drumstick, rice, oil, ikan bilis, chilies, cucumber, egg, and special made salsa sauce.


First and foremost to be a freelance chef, it requires the cooks to be unique, aggressive, and yet responsible, or there is no restaurant willing to hire the chef with normal ability. I’m not doing perfect and still trying my best to improve every time. Thanks to the peoples around that giving such chance to cook this dish. During freelance chef, restaurant doesn’t appoint me many times, or sometimes two or three times per month, each time 2 to 3 dayz. My confidence will up one level when the time I wearing my chef’s uniform together with 1 long hat on my head. I’m attracted with this cooking life as it allows me to face anything special that is not from the menu. Comes out my own flavor, travelling to different restaurants to cook for different customers, and always be alert to solve problems. It allows me to one step closer to the king of intelligence. During the process of cooking nasi lemak, the important thing is to insert true feelings of Malaysian, as nasi lemak only can found in Malaysia, so the knowledge of local culture have to be strong. By presenting all the cultures, warm feelings of Malaysia into one roof’s, that’s NASI LEMAK. But the weak point of being a freelance chef was I have to sacrifice the time with parents, especially the season times. Because freelance chef have to travelling to different restaurant, mostly overland and when the time the customer takes rest and having their dinner. Contrary, no matter the there is local customer or foreign customer, we as a chef have the responsible to cook an aromatic, delicious nasi lemak to satisfy their stomach. As customer is always RIGHT.


2nd dishes:-Contractor Chef (Samsung HP merchandiser)-Korean Spicy Pork Ramen with Pickle.



Indigrents:-Ramen, Pork, Pickle, Chicken Soup, Spices, Mushroom, Pepper, and Chilles.

If you love spicy, this dishes is indeed suitable for you. I have intervened as a contractor chef in this Korean restaurant since the process of creates my Menu, so more or less, the flavor will be great. last time, this Korean restaurant only in Penang Island, then Butterworth, and now Sungai Petani and Alor Setar, as the branches expanded more and more. Although in the surface, this Ramen jobs is easy, but it requires some skills in pulling the flour becomes Ramen, cooks the chicken soup with spices in the suitable heat, sinks the pickle with chilies etc. This jobs is cute, during this job is carrying on, my Korean restaurant boss always continuously said, “fight for your restaurant!” or “Don’t lose customer to the neighbor Japanese Sushi Restaurant (Sxxx Exxxxxx) or Western TGI Saturday Restaurants (Nxxxx, Mxxxxxxx)” “I pay you such an amount of wages (act not so lumayan) is going to see wat the result you pay back to me…” or “We have to archieve of selling 100 mugs of Ramen per day, than wat our rivals, stupid white face selling 1,000 of Unagi sushi per day…” bla bla bla~1st month, gone, 2nd months, passed, 3rd months repeats the same words…As a contractor chef, sometimes have to used to be wat the Songs that Sing by our boss(although boss is not singing as well as RAIN), or u will be get trouble and fired very soon. At the beginning, I was so refuse to listen to this SONG’s , but for three meals per day, I tries to accept wat the boss singing every time, or I wouldn’t be survive on this Korean Restaurant for years. Yet, Boss is always RIGHT.


3rd dishes:-Hawker stall (hard labor for family business)-Char Koey Teow.

Indigrents:- Koey Toew, Oil, Prawn, vege, eggs, clam, lok cheong, tau ge.

This is the third alternative chef’s jobs when I was free during this year. Penang as a hawker heaven is full of delicious hawker food, and hence most of the hawker center in Penang Island you can search, at least one stall selling Char Koey Teow, even u goes to KL will also see PENANG CHAR KOEY TEOW. So, setting up a Char Koey Teow Business is easy, but how to survive in the market of Char Koey Teow is crucial. Therefore, as a non-risk seeker, I choose to becomes the junior helpers of Char Koey Teow to my father whose have decades of Char Koey Teow experience. As a junior chef, I follow my father goes to shopping at market in the very morning with a very MUST tool *BASKET* in my right hand. To buy the indigents of Char Koey Teow, watch the skills of father negotiating the raw material prices with aunty uncles. Before open up the stall, we have to arrange all the raw materials in the proper place so that it won’t face any hardship on finding raw material when frying Char Koey Teow. During the business is operating, it is a skill need on how to communicate well with the customer while frying Char Koey Teow, take care of the heat, indigents added, etc. And after the business, we have to clean it up the plates and tools. Char Koey Teow life is tuff, have to face on to the hot heat every day, oily, and smelly. But as a son of my father, I have no choice and always have to be ready as a GOLDEN SUBSTITUTE when every time father’s worker on MC. Dirt and tuff should not to be a matter to me, but the matter on how to Fried a plate of delicious CHAR KOEY TEOW is important.

As the 1st year in chef’s life, I likes to discover delicious foods when I travelling to different places, tasting different types of local foods and comes out very own flavor. This year I have comes out 3 different types of dishes, hopes will get the response and support from my customers like you soon. thanks~

1 条评论:

  1. wah jim the chef~~~ when wanna cook n let me test?? LOLZ

    回复删除